8.16.2010

Love Story -- Design Mom

Do you read Design Mom? Author Gabrielle Blair is fabulous and I want to be just like her when I grow up. I am so excited to introduce her to you via her Love Story. Enjoy!


Ben Blair and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary in August. Can you believe that?! I've been thinking of our (very short) courtship and I remembered a happy story. When Ben and I met, we had different levels of dating experience. I loved hanging out with boys and dated all the interesting ones I could find. Ben Blair had hardly dated at all.

One night, when we had just met, his friends and my friends started chatting about things like holding hands, good night kisses, and making out. What they meant. The level of seriousness they implied. (No sex -- we were all good Mormon kids.)

I was adamant that holding hands on a date was no big deal. In my view, it was just a simple way to show affection. Like greeting someone with a quick hug. Or taking your date's arm when you walk into the restaurant.

Ben Blair was adamant that holding hands was a very big deal. That you should never hold someone's hand unless you're seriously dating.

Cut to a few weeks later.

We still weren't dating, but we'd been hanging out more and more and I knew I wanted to date him. So I hatched a plan to let him know (so devious!). One night we were hiking in St. George. I was very familiar with this hike and knew there was a place where he would need to hold my hand to pull me up in a steep spot. Remembering our earlier "affection conversation" my idea was to keep holding his hand -- even after he'd helped me up -- so he would know I was serious about dating him.

Friends. It worked brilliantly! He took my hand to help me up. I scrambled up the rock and when he tried to drop my hand, I kept holding on. (What do you think? Too bold?). I remember he paused for a second, realized what I was doing, and sweetly held my hand for the rest of the night. In fact, we were engaged a few weeks later.

Not long after the engagement, I was telling this same story and Ben Blair said, "Actually. When you held my hand on the hike, I remembered our affection conversation too. I reminded myself that you thought holding hands was no big deal, so I assumed it meant nothing -- that you were just being friendly."

Cut to me. Blushing for hours.

We still hold hands all the time. No one knows what it means. : )

Such a sweet story. Thank you so much for sharing, Gabrielle. Do you think your Love Story is worthy to be featured? Email me at gwenisinlove {at} gmail.com.

21 comments:

  1. i love this story! i think that holding hands can be powerful in itself. and the 'devious plan'? sounds like something i would do, and yes, i am told i am bold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading Design Mom. This is such a cute story. I adore "how we met and fell in love" stories. Makes my heart smile :)

    amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is perfect. Love the boldness of hand holding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw, this story just makes my day. but i totally anticipated what ben said! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story!! My blog is Hand In Hand so I totally understand how sweet holding hands is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the sweetest story ever! My husband and I had a similarly swift romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is darling. You go gurrrrl! haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great story, thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good story. I remember having a similar experience. I thought holding hands meant nothing but my husband thought it was HUGE. So one night we were watching a movie (this is before we were dating) and I told him I wanted to give him a hand massage and after a couple minutes I held on to his hand. We were both blushing for the remainder of the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CUTE! But seriously are you old enough to be married for 15 years! How do you stay so youthful???;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just adorable!
    I just found your site and I'm so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely story, as I love your blog all the way from France...Thanks for sharing and good luck with the first week of school! Hugs from Freida

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love designmom! What a heartwarming story :). So glad I found your site too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it!!! Smiling so big at this story. And yes I want to be like Gabrielle someday, too! :)

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so beautiful :) I love a sweet passionate love story

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a loving, lovely story.
    The irony of Ben And Gabi both remembering the affection conversation from opposite sides has me smiling reeeeeaaaally big, and warmed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always watch out for symptoms connected with just about any modifications in the facts you will get coming from anyone in the best online dating site for all service. Presently there really should not be any type of incongruencies if people are sharing with the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are several fascinating options for meeting brand-new folks. especial adult dating site is one of these popular ways of meeting people Although a lot of folks even now favor previous options for online dating and also having fun yet brand-new era can be additional with these kind of online dating sites.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails