3.25.2011

Feelin' Sexy Friday -- Embrace the Muffin Top

I recently watched the movie Eat, Pray, Love and there was a scene in there that made me smile and think.

Here's the movie scene:
The main character, Liz, is eating pizza in Naples with her friend when her friend looks guiltily at the pizza and explains she cannot eat it.

"I want to, but I've gained like 10 pounds.... I've got this right here on my tummy. What's this called?"

"A muffin top. I have one, too. Let me ask you this.... In all the years you've ever undressed in front of a gentleman has he ever asked you to leave? Has he ever walked out or left?"

"No..."

" That's because he doesn't care. He's in the room with a naked girl. He's won the lottery... I'm so tired of saying no and then waking up in the morning and recalling every single thing I ate the day before, counting every calorie I consume so I know exactly how much self-loathing to take into the shower. I have no interest in being obese. I'm just through with the guilt."

I've worked a lot with women with disordered eating and body image issues and these are often tied to sexuality. There may be a million different reasons for this, but that's to be discussed at another time.

Embrace your body! Love who you are! Your man will love you no matter what your body looks like. Confidence and being comfortable with how you look is sexy!!

My challenge for you is to show that confidence. Go initiate an intimate interaction. Put on some nice lingerie or go in the buff or show your confidence in how you pursue. Do whatever works for you. I bet your man will love it. Let me know how it goes.

Have a great Friday!
Questions or Suggestions for further topics? Email alyssamft{at}gmail{dot}com

16 comments:

  1. I loved that part too, as I also have a bit of a muffin top, but my husband doesn't care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that quote! My husband bought this movie for me, but I've yet to watch it to be honest. I have a whole date night planned where I make a dish for us from each of the places she goes. I keep forgetting to put the ingredients on my shopping list though, so the movie sits there unwrapped LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That movie is on list to watch that I haven't gotten to yet!

    The thing that embarrasses me the most (but I try not to let it hinder me), is my belly. It looks like a deflated balloon. I've had two kids and each has given me stretch marks and ripped my ab muscles so that they kinda pooch out. In high school and just before kids I had a 4 pack, so this is kind of a blow to ole ego!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED THIS!!! Thank you so much for sharing this. I have never seen the movie and that is a great quote. After having my baby I have been very hard on my self and every time I get into the shower I just sit there and judge myself, and then feel guilty for eating. Thank you so so so much! I needed this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladies, I might not be speaking for all husbands (but at least for those that are not out right pigs), but we are more attracted to your sexuality, your love for us, your confidence and your inner beauty than you having a perfect body.

    After many years of dealing with issues like this (my wife gave me 6 lovely children), and other growing experiences in our marriage of 30+ years, I came to the conclusion that what makes my wife attractive and sexy is not if she has a near perfect body (age will eventually win that battle), but her attitude.

    For me, a sexually confident wife is more attractive/appealing than one who maintains her youthful shape, but who also has sexual hangups, looks at sex as a duty, or suffers from the "good girl syndrome". I am not saying let yourself go, but realize that most men understand the challenges that come with child birth and maintaining your ideal weight/shape. They are more concerned with the emotional connection that comes through those special, intimate times that you share together. Don't let a little "muffin top" prevent you from enjoying that bonding time, because your DH most likely isn't going to let it stop him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the number one quote I took away from that movie! Amazing! I totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is a wonderful post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this movie...

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have yet to watch this movie but now i want to see it more than before... Out with the guilt girls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gwen, I've missed your feeling sexy Friday posts! More please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post. I guess I need to watch that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Steph :) I will see what I can do! Anyone want to be a contributor? I'm obviously a little behind :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just watched "Eat, Pray, Love" this weekend...so I knew exactly what you meant! Totally true! :)

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved that part too, because honestly, what kinda guy is gonna care? And when you're naked, muffin tops diminish, so no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quote so much! I have a lot of body issues, and I'm always mentally counting all the calories I've consumed, so seeing this scene really made me feel better, well at least for now!

    Thanks (:

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails